Measures of Student Achievement and Success
Twice a year, in February and June, the Ontario Provincial Report Card is prepared and sent home. In early November, we send out a Progress Report. Parent- teacher interviews are conducted the following week. During the course of the year, students participate in numerous learning demonstrations and performances, such as English and French public speaking, school plays, student talent show, student-produced publications such as the yearbook, and through participation in athletics. Our grade 6 students participate in the provincial EQAO assessment process. Results can be found on a subsequent page. Our Henry Munro Middle School website contains a Homework Calendar for students and parents to monitor homework assignments. Through assemblies, we celebrate accomplishments and review priorities such as the role we each play in creating a positive learning environment. We also have partnerships with outside agencies such as the Royal Ottawa Hospital, who facilitate an Early Intervention Program for students. We are also a part of the Ottawa 67’s Adopt-a-School program.
School Improvement Plans and Initiatives
For the 2016-2017 school year, the following school improvement plans and initiatives are underway:
• Ongoing partnership with the School Resource Officer.
• Partnership with School Council to build understanding of curricula, school programs and learning support strategies.
• Using the school website and other information technology to communicate information about school and community events, and offer parents a variety of options for communicating with members of the school community directly or through School Council.
Improvement of grade 6 EQAO results by:
• Separating results from different curriculum streams (English, Early French Immersion) to focus efforts and resources.
• Working with junior and intermediate divisional teams to review and continuously improve curriculum delivery. Specific target areas include developing critical literacy and critical thinking skills that apply across the curriculum.
• Student Support Services Team teachers to work with each homeroom teacher to assess and evaluate reading in English and French.